1 Peter – Back in the Old Days 1 Peter 1:10-12

21 Mar
Photo Credit: home.comcast.net

Photo Credit: home.comcast.net

Scripture Text

1Pe 1:10-12  Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

Introduction

If there is a phrase that makes the younger generation roll their eyes it would be this: “Back in the old days…” With a start like that you can imagine hearing something like this… we used to walk 5 miles, uphill, to school barefooted.  We used to have to go outside to go to the bathroom.  We used to carry water into the house to cook with.  We used to have one set of cloths.  You get the idea; they mean to say it used to be a much harder life.

In our text Peter is going to use this same thought to describe what it was like for God’s children before Jesus died on the cross.

That brings up a serious question; how did things work before Jesus?  Today we confess and forsake our sin believing in Jesus.  What did people do before Jesus came and died on the cross?  This topic is not in our text but we should answer it before we go on.

Old Testament Faith

The best place to go for an answer is Hebrews chapter 11.  This chapter is commonly referred to as the roll call of faith chapter.  It is a roll call record of many well-known Old Testament believers and the faith they showed in God.

We have clearly established before in our studies that salvation comes through faith believing in Christ.  So how did Abraham, Moses and Daniel become believers?

The answer might surprise you, they came the same way we did, by faith.  They believed forward to the time of Jesus, so their faith was in the promise of the coming Messiah.

Hebrews 11:13  These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Closing Thoughts

We believe in Jesus, they believed in the promise of Jesus.  Both took faith, both requires trusting in God to keep His promises. Both methods require that we turn our back on the world and follow God.  One God, one Savior, one way to heaven.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

33 responses to “1 Peter – Back in the Old Days 1 Peter 1:10-12

1. Mark Myers

March 21, 2014 at 7:04 am

That’s my favorite expression! And yes, my kids roll their eyes. Good word today. Thanks

March 21, 2014 at 7:50 am

When I was young I swore to myself there are some things I’m not going to do when I grow up and have kids: one of them was embarrassing my children. Now, it is easily in my top 5 fun things to do.
      Great to hear from you Mark.

• Mark Myers

March 21, 2014 at 8:09 am

Oh goodness, it is by far #1. Nothing quite compares. Blessings!

2. Freedomborn ... Aussie Christian Focus

March 21, 2014 at 7:46 am

Hmmmm, the Children in my life, A Servant use to call me Aunty Anne but now they call me Grannie Annie, I’m sure I talk about the good old days too, I remember the Milkman with his horse and wagon and when you could get a whole bagful of sweets for threepence, I also remember when people said something they really meant it and they were loyal too.

Do we know Jesus, who He is and what it really means to believe in Him, or do we only know of Him ?

Believing in Jesus also means Loving Him and others, even our enemies and doing kind things for them, not because we have to but because we want to….. Love is an Action, not just a word!

Christian Love from both of us – Anne.

March 21, 2014 at 7:53 am

Good to hear from you Anne. I hope you had a great Holliday.
      Our milk delivery wasn’t a wagon, Pop Willy, as he was called, drove a 1940s flatbed pickup. He delivered milk and eggs. Fond memories.

• Freedomborn ... Aussie Christian Focus

March 21, 2014 at 8:06 am

OK so your younger than me, no horses but that means A Servant, when I walk into a room as the Scriptures tell us, being your Elder, you have to stand up as a sign of respect, alright just a nod in my direction will do instead, Oh I forgot we are Blogging, I won’t walk into a room, OK a quick nod at the Monitor will do but it must be respectful 🙄

Our Holidays have not gone as planned but we hope to have another break in May.

Blessings – Grannie Annie

March 21, 2014 at 8:08 am

Ok, I’m standing out of respect as I write this. Have a blessed day.

• Freedomborn ... Aussie Christian Focus

March 21, 2014 at 8:34 am

A word of advice A Servant, Sit down! , bending down is not good for your back unless your keyboard is also standing up.

Sorry about the smiley, they use to have great animated ones, the problem with change is it is not always for the best, Ron says if it works don’t fix it, my Mum use to say you can’t put a old head on young shoulders, meaning they need our life wisdom but sadly like I was as a teenager, they think they know it all and sometimes they never grow up but it’s good to see you have and so respect your elders, but go on sit down, it’s OK! I’m really not that much older than you… How old are you? anyway maybe I have to stand up!!!

Blessings – Ancient Annie

March 21, 2014 at 8:49 am

I am 55 as of last December. If memory serves you are in your young 60s.

• STACYLMONTGOMERY

March 21, 2014 at 12:46 pm

“A Servant”, you have much respect, support and encouragement coming from me. At age 35, I need all of the biblical teaching I can get! I will be tuning in more to your blog because I made a promise to myself that I would keep my head in the Bible more. I will admit that there are some things that I read that I don’t quite understand but I perservere in trying to. I definitely enjoy your style of writing. God has given you an amazing gift of teaching. I look forward to reading more. Be blessed, “A Servant.”

March 21, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Well, at age 55, I would like to think some things have stuck. Unfortunately the things I have learned are subject to my spotty memory.
                  I am honored to be considered one of your study sources.

• Freedomborn ... Aussie Christian Focus

March 22, 2014 at 3:17 am

Well if your that young A Servant, you can keep standing, I’m much older!

My Birthday is also in December, on the 26th, when is yours? mine use to be on the 27th but when I was Adopted they realized they had made a mistake. I was Born at midnight which means the moon is under my feet but until it’s a minute past, it’s still the day before but perhaps I have shared all this with you already, us oldies are forgetful but then I was the same as a Teenager.

You were very cleaver to know what goes up and never comes down A Servant? it must be your life wisdom. I created a Power point about aging from one I received , I will leave the link for you.

Aging – http://freedomborn.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/moments-in-time/

Blessings Anne.

March 22, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I’m glad your comments are coming through now.
                  My birthday is December 31st.
                  Sorry for the delay in replying. On Saturdays I try to catch up on my chores around the house and don’t check the comments very often.
                  I hope you have a great weekend.

• Freedomborn ... Aussie Christian Focus

March 22, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Yes, A Servant, the problem seems to have been resolved but as you have shared before, in times of Trouble we remember we do not go through it alone and I also appreciate your prayers, God tells us that the prayers of a righteous man are very powerful.

I’m going to the Nursing Home today to visit my friends, Helen has asked me to create a PowerPoint about Penguins, I’m going to use the theme Joy, most remember Happy Feet but we need a Joyful heart much more and then when we dance it will be with the Joy of The Lord.

Helen has been very sick recently and is also very worried about her husband, he is in the Nursing Home with her and has Demetra, he lives in the fancy world of the books he has read in his life, which means he is sometimes very fearful imagining that what they portrayed is real and happening now. Last week the Nurses and Doctors to him were undercover Agents seeking to find out his secrets. I grieve for both of them but pray the seeds that were planted during their life, will bear good fruit, God’s word or Truth does not return to Him void, they use to attend a Church and Helen often takes about God and His seeds of Love and Hope are everywhere and yes so are Satans but God’s Love is the most Powerful force in the Universe, He is Love.

Christian Love from us both – Anne

March 22, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I hope God can use you during the visit.

3. Musings

March 21, 2014 at 8:26 am

Loved your message, very promising and hopeful 🙂 . Blessings.

March 21, 2014 at 8:32 am

Thank you. This is sort of a two part post. The other will come on Monday. We have so much to be thankful for.

• Musings

March 21, 2014 at 9:05 am

We sure do. You’ve got us in suspense.

March 21, 2014 at 9:10 am

Hardly, but thanks for saying it. Have a great weekend.

• Musings

March 21, 2014 at 9:24 am

You’re welcome, you too. God bless.

4. Faith Love n Desire

March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am

Great exposition! Loved this! Thanks for sharing this powerful and hopeful message with us! Blessings!

March 21, 2014 at 10:04 am

Thank you for reading. The post continues Monday. I try to keep posts at or under 500 words. Posts seem to get passed over if they are too long.

5. Michael

March 21, 2014 at 10:59 am

Oh, you do tease! This post is a portal to a really large and interesting discussion on faith. Thank you.

March 21, 2014 at 11:02 am

It really wasn’t meant as a tease, I’ve just learned that if you go over the 500 word count your post gets passed over. I want to keep the posts, and the content, short to get the casual reader to stop by.

• Michael

March 21, 2014 at 11:04 am

You’re exactly right. I aim at 500 but sometimes fail. I know what it feels like to see “1,017”, and I don’t wanna be that guy! Can you believe I’ve seen over 3,000 words!

March 21, 2014 at 11:11 am

Yes, I have too. I figure I need to do what I can to at least be inviting.

6. STACYLMONTGOMERY

March 21, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Great post! Your post gave me something to really think about. I did wonder as to what they believed before Jesus came and now I have a clear understanding of what took place.

March 21, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Praise God for His word. Thank you for supporting us.

7. A Fellow Servant

March 21, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Amen brother. Some have mistakenly thought that the Old Testament saints were justified by the keeping of the law but apostle Paul clearly refutes that in Romans 3 and 4 as well as Galatians. No flesh was ever justified by keeping the law. Martin Luther based his actions on Paul’s statement in Romans 1, “the just shall live by faith” but Paul was quoting the Old Testament – “Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.” (Habakkuk 2:4 KJV). Your post hit the bullseye.

8. SLIMJIM

March 21, 2014 at 7:32 pm

God actually used this verse to make me see the Old Testament in fresh light, and to ponder what’s in it that points us towards Jesus that is now fulfilled in the New.
    I was actually laughing when I read your comment about the good ol’ days. I have a guy in our church who recently joined the Marines and I caught myself saying several times, “Back when I was in the Marines we use to do it like this, see…”

March 21, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I have not said this yet, thank you for serving your country. I for one am grateful.
      The part 2 will talk about the OT a bit more this was primarily an intro.

• SLIMJIM