1 Peter – Times of Trouble 1 Peter 1:6-9

19 Mar
Photo Credit: rightfromtheheart.org

Photo Credit: rightfromtheheart.org

Scripture Text

1 Peter 1:6-9 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:  That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

Times of Trouble – v.6-9

Peter talks about heaviness, temptations and trials, it’s going to happen. Times of trouble are also part of the Christian life. In this life we decide whom we will serve; will we serve the evil one or will we serve God?  For those who choose God there is a reward waiting, but what about now? Why did God allow…?

Paul’s Example

One of the most celebrated men of the bible is the Apostle Paul.  We see him as the father of missionaries.  Of all the high profile times when he was in the audience of Kings and Emperors there was a great cost to his ministry.  He mentions some of his dark days in the 2nd letter to the Corinthians.  2 Cor 11:23-27  Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft. Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

This side of Paul’s ministry we would rather not see or experience but Paul not only had these things happen to him, he endured them all so that others might be brought to ChristNow when we look at a list like this how can we complain about what we go through?

If you still think “This isn’t fair” I would like to leave you with one thought: was it fair that the Son of God come to earth, live a perfect life and be tortured to death for our sins?  What did Jesus say in the garden the night he was taken by the angry mob?  Luke 22:42  … Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

Closing Prayer

Father, I am sorry for all the times I have complained.  Please help me to have the mind of Christ and seek Your will to be done, whatever the cost.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “1 Peter – Times of Trouble 1 Peter 1:6-9

1. theywhoseek

March 19, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Amen! Goes so well with my post today . . . Your will Lord, not mine. May we ever be aware of Jesus’ trust in His Father. ~ Blessings ~

March 19, 2014 at 12:13 pm

When I read your post I thought the same thing. The world would boast and say “great minds think alike”. I would prefer people think as servants we allow God to fulfill His purpose. What a privilege to be used of God.

2. Tom Huff

March 19, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Amen

March 19, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Thank you for stopping by Tom.

3. Faith Love n Desire

March 19, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Amen! You sqeeze so much juice from this beautiful Scripture, that my cup is overflowing! May we all drink it deeply today! Thank you for sharing this powerful post with us! Blessings!

March 19, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Perhaps it is me but there seems to be this unwritten rule about the length of posts. As a result I sometimes think I have not done justice to the words of life. Thank you for the kind words.

4. Wise Hearted

March 19, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Glad I stopped by, this was a good rich read.

March 19, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Sorry for the delay, just got back from mid-week service.
      Thank you for your kind words. I don’t remember seeing you here before so thanks again for coming. I am curious and will check out your blog shortly.

5. A Fellow Servant

March 20, 2014 at 9:49 am

Great post. Paul told Timothy also that they who live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. But as he also said in II Cor. 1, God is the God of all comfort and the Father of mercy. Praise God.

March 20, 2014 at 9:53 am

I don’t want my Lord to say “why didn’t you take a stand?” I don’t want to endure grief but I really don’t want to disappoint my Lord.

6. SLIMJIM

March 20, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Since I’ve been reading about Christians under the Nazis as of late, I’m reminded that God doesn’t promise external peace and security in this life…and your post reinforce that with the truth from Peter that trials and trouble will come our way to reveal the precious faith He has given us. Thank you also for dealing with also the problem of suffering as not being “fair.”

March 20, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I really appreciate your support and insights. Four posts from now I’ll discuss “hope to the end”, a continual action of trust, as a defense against troubling times.

7. Freedomborn ... Aussie Christian Focus

March 22, 2014 at 8:01 pm

The Truth in your message is very Powerful A Servant, God is not saying that we have to be Happy Clappy about what we suffer, Jesus wasn’t but we rejoice that when we suffer we do not suffer alone (see below) and as we suffer we are strengthened in seeking the Lord to endure what we are afflicted with or the Hardship of life that we encounter it and when we suffer for The Lord we rejoice abundantly because our reward will be very great.

Isaiah 43:1-3 – Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.”

We could say Jesus was complaining, He knew what was ahead and didn’t want it to happen and He let His Father know, He didn’t want to be separated from God which our sin caused as He hung on the cross for our Salvation but as you said A Servant, in agreement with the Scriptures, Jesus still said not my will Father but yours be done, He knew beyond doubt that God’s will in all things is always very good and based on Love.

Will the road always be easy for us No! will our inner Joy always be great, Yes! when we believe also God works all things for good in our lives and because we Love our Abba Father, we obey Him willingly.

Jeremiah 29 :11-12 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Lamentations 3: 33 For God doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the Children of men.

Christian Love from us both – Anne

March 22, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Thank you for the scriptures and for the kind words.