1 Peter – Hope 1 Peter 1:3-5

17 Mar
Photo Credit: hiringforhope.org

Photo Credit: hiringforhope.org

Scripture Text

1Pe 1:3-5  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Introduction

Why did Peter go to such lengths in addressing these believers?  In verse 1 Peter addressed the strangers scattered abroad referring to Jews in other countries.  We also see references that cause us to believe he is also addressing Gentiles.  God is not regional, only reigning in Jerusalem.  God is not partial, being only the God of the Jews.  God calls all people everywhere to repent.  Today God is not only worshipped in the church houses, Jesus said “Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Peter wanted them to know just because they were out of touch with the daily happenings in Jerusalem God was right with them and knew them by name.  The Internet reaches around the world: God wanted everyone to know that even though some may be out of touch with the mainstream God knows who and where His children are.

V3-5 – Hope

God’s mercy produced our deliverance.  We went from total despair to a lively hope.  We have something to look forward to.  For those who have trusted in Jesus we will live again.  The end of this life is the beginning of eternal life.  We will not only see heaven we will have a home there. All of this is because of God’s abundant mercy: but it does not end there; God is also able to protect those who put their faith and trust in him.  In verse 4 it talks about our inheritance in heaven that is kept in store for us.  In this life it seems nothing is certain but our soul is safe in the arms of Jesus.  There is coming a day when God’s children will hear God say… Mat 25:21  … Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Please stop, just for a minute, and soak in the hope God has given us.  It won’t be long now.

Closing Thoughts

In our scripture text God has reserved us a place in heaven. The older I become the greater the desire to go home.  I am tired of the hate, works of abomination, blasphemy and the murder of the innocent.  Thank you Father for giving me hope of a better day.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 responses to “1 Peter – Hope 1 Peter 1:3-5

1. Michael

March 17, 2014 at 10:32 am

Magnificent scripture.

2. heavenlyraindrops

March 17, 2014 at 11:09 am

I’m thinking it will be soon. Our blessed hope, very soon a reality! thanks

3. Levi Thetford

March 17, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I didn’t use to think of “going home” that much, but I’m with you. Hardly a day goes by that I don’t wish it were today! In the meantime, back to living for His glory here. Thanks Brother!

March 17, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Just a few years ago I would consider my comments defeated. What a difference a few years make. Bless you brother.

• Levi Thetford

March 17, 2014 at 7:07 pm

They do make a difference. I’m with you.

4. SLIMJIM

March 18, 2014 at 5:20 am

What a great hope we have in Jesus.

5. limbiley

March 18, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Beautiful piece.

March 18, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Thank you Limbi, there are some tough material in 1 Peter but getting to talk about our blessed hope is a joy to do.
      I was alerted that you have posted but I haven’t made it to your site yet. It has been a rather busy day. (It is still raining here. Would you please take your weather back?)

6. A Fellow Servant

March 20, 2014 at 9:50 am

Amen, our citizenship is in heaven. Just passin through 🙂

7. Freedomborn ... Aussie Christian Focus

March 22, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Yes I too feel has you do A Servant and we know God does even more so…

He is very tired of the hate, works of abomination, blasphemy and the murder of the innocent.

Thank you for sharing once again The Hope we have in The Lord, which each day He reminds us about in our hearts, as we seek Him in all our ways.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne

March 22, 2014 at 8:24 pm

I think about the days to come when Satan will be defeated but right now we must do the works of our Lord while it is called day. We will enjoy the rewards of our Lord when God calls us home.

8. Freedomborn ... Aussie Christian Focus

March 22, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Yes I too look forward to Jesus’ return and know that in Eternity Satan is already defeated , there is no time in Heaven.

I agree with you A Servant, each day is an opportunity to offer help and Love to our Brothers and Sisters in The Body of Christ and than to reach out in Love and offer God’s Hope to a hurting World.

Blessings – Anne

9. Bride of YAHUSHUA

May 3, 2014 at 6:04 am

JESUS is our only hope in this dark world.