1 Peter – Sanctification (1 Peter 1:2)

10 Mar

Scripture Text

1 Peter 1:2through sanctification of the Spirit

Introduction

In this post we are going to look at what happens when a person is saved.  As a Christian it is hard to explain to a lost person what it’s like when you are saved.  We look for words but words cannot describe the change inside. Here is my best effort at describing the moment of salvation… I am clean, my conscience is clear! Stem to stern, from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet, inside and out, my sin is gone, the stain, the blot and the darkness are all gone.  I am free from the evil force that ruled over me. When we are saved everything changes, we have a whole new purpose in life.

How about God, what does God see when we are saved?  Now we are getting to the point Peter is making in verse 2 when he says “through sanctification of the Spirit”.

Sanctification of the Spirit

Sanctification means to be purified.  We still walk around in a body of flesh that is corruptible but the spirit inside us is renewed.  The penalty of sin we carried is now gone.

Coming to an understanding that we cannot save ourselves is a big step.  Without understanding this simple fact we will try to change ourselves.  The most common belief is if we do good deeds in this life God will consider those deeds after we die. Because of such beliefs people try to clean up their own life. There are phrases like “turning over a new leaf”, a “fresh start”, “pushing the reset button” and on and on we could go.   [Let me be perfectly clear… “Our good deeds will never, ever, get us into heaven”.  This line of thinking is a lie created and propagated by the evil one.]

There are a lot of people in church trying to earn salvation.  We cannot earn it, we must trust in God for the free gift of salvation.  We must accept the fact that Jesus died for us.  “Jesus I believe you died for me and I accept that you paid my sin debt.  I now put my faith and trust in you.”  Sanctification is God’s domain; we cannot eliminate our own sin. Once we are saved we are a new creature in Christ.

Closing Remarks

Can we be saved without being sanctified? We cannot be right with God, and have fellowship with Him, unless our sin is gone.  Sanctification is the washing away of our sin by the blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ. (Heb. 13:12) Only through sanctification can we be acceptable to, and have fellowship with, God.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “1 Peter – Sanctification (1 Peter 1:2)

1. Equipping The Saints

March 10, 2014 at 10:25 am

Thank you for your post today, and thank you for having a Berean desire for study of God’s Holy Word. Blessings to you.

March 10, 2014 at 10:29 am

It’s funny you use Berean as an example of study. First off thank you, I do study when preparing and pray for help. I use the word myself, Paul challenged us in Timothy to study.

• Equipping The Saints

March 10, 2014 at 5:20 pm

You are very welcome. Your message preparation is very apparent. Please keep up the good work.

2. Elaine

March 11, 2014 at 1:36 am

Finally got to catch up a bit and read this post. Hopefully after surgery I can keep up with the newer ones and also go back to finish your study on James! Love the way you write and share.

March 11, 2014 at 7:06 am

Thank you Elaine. I hope you health issues get cleared us soon.

3. Levi Thetford

March 11, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Great piece Dennis. Thank you for it!

March 11, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I appreciate that Levi, starting tomorrow I have a two part post on the blood. Praise God for the shed blood of Jesus.

4. limbiley

March 12, 2014 at 4:35 am

It’s like describing a colour to a colour blind person.
    God bless.

March 12, 2014 at 9:34 am

I just posted part 1 of “the blood of Jesus” part 2 will be Friday. I hope God uses it to speak to the heart of someone looking for answers.
      As for your comment, that is a good way of putting it. You cannot know the freedom until you receive it in faith.