The Next Pillow Over

13 Feb

valentinesdayheartsIntroduction

On the eve of Valentine’s Day I expect there will be a number of posts covering the big day of romance.  Ever the oddball I’ll be touching on the subject but with a twist.

A day of flowers, candy and dinner at a favorite eatery will be popular choices but I am wondering… how do we show our love for that special person “The Next Pillow Over” the other 364 days of the year?

Do I think it is wrong to go all out one day of the year? No, of course not, but this cannot represent a major portion of expressed love for the year.  Priority #1: Make sure every day is special.

The Perfect Example

There is a prerequisite we must cover before we continue.  What does a special relationship consist of?  Is there a perfect example to follow?

The scripture, on several occasions, depicts Jesus as a groom and we, the church, as his bride.  What has Jesus done to show us his love?  (An exhaustive list would bust my 500 word budget.)

Jesus laid down his royal robes and became flesh to come to our rescue.  He never sought to be honored, he chose rather to serve.  Ultimately Jesus laid down his life so that we might be free.

A Challenge Indeed

Guys, Jesus left us a challenge.  Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

God does not give us a command we cannot follow.  Priority #2 Make sure that special lady “The Next Pillow Over” knows she is the one, and the only one, not on one day, but every day of the year.

The Big Objection

“I am not romantic”.  If you are referring to dreamy, starry-eyed and quixotic then neither am I. Jesus, our example to follow, isn’t either.  That didn’t stop him for showing us he would do anything to secure our safety and well-being.

Do you think Jesus proved his love for us?  I certainly do.  There is no question in my mind that Jesus loves me.  This is exactly what that special lady “The Next Pillow Over” wants to know.

Valentine’s Day

When we, on a daily basis, show our love then perhaps the 14th could become a day where we try to be a hopeless romantic. I think I can stand it for one day.

Final Thoughts

Ladies, I sure would appreciate your critique on this.  If I am wrong I want to know.  Why?  Because I want my special someone “The Next Pillow Over” to know she is the one, and the only one every day of the year.

8 Comments

Posted by on February 13, 2014 in Lessons from A Servant

Tags: , , , , ,

8 responses to “The Next Pillow Over

1. SLIMJIM

February 13, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Amen. Every day we ought to be thankful for our spouse

2. Freedomborn ... Aussie Christian Focus

February 13, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Wow A Servant you are so so right! I will just add that as woman we are to respect and submit to our Husbands as our Authority under the Lord, 365 days a year, not just for one and we do so for Love not because we have to, we Love them passionately, meaning with our all, which shows our Love for God.

But what if they don’t buy us a box of chocs and flowers, we continue to Love them passionately.

Christian Love Always from both of us – Anne.

February 13, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Thank you Anne. I appreciate the thumbs up. I do want my wife to know, every day, that she is special.
      For us Valentines is 4 hours away. You guys on the other hand are observing the day already.

3. Heidi Viars

February 13, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I think you are right on. My husband and I don’t get into the Valentine’s Day thing. Maybe I am spoiled too much … don’t get me wrong, I never turn down flowers or candy, but after 26 years, the gifts he gives me daily, are such a blessing (and that he still sleeps on the pillow next to me is one of them) … Thanks for the wonderful take on this 🙂

February 13, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I do appreciate the feedback, I always do but this was really needed. The biggest thing next to my relationship with God is my relationship with my wife. I don’t want to mess this up.

4. Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

February 13, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I think your ideas on the matter are absolutely spot on! I wish that all men thought that way; sadly,, it is not the case, I fear. I wish you and your wife a wonderful day tomorrow (and all the tomorrow’s thereafter).

February 13, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Skye, thank you for your take. Perhaps I should do a question on Morning Coffee on “what do you consider romantic?”
      While I won’t be accused of being romantic I definitely want to show my love for that special someone “the next pillow over”.

5. a_l_henley

February 15, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Reblogged this on Intrepid Didymus.